Monday, March 18, 2013

R.E.S.P.E.C.T


I speak to a lot of people of different faiths, and those without any faith and the one thing I noticed is; it’s okay to speak your mind with them but you need to be careful and be respectful otherwise you might just be insulting them.

I have learned this lesson myself not too long ago, I was going through a stage of being arrogant and thinking myself higher than other people because I thought I made no mistakes. HA! Now that was completely stupid because I made more mistakes than I realized. I use to talk down to others instead of lifting them up.

One example of that is whenever my brother would show me his drawings I would say, “Oh wow, that is not good…” Yeah that is not the right thing to say to your little brother when he is trying to learn how to draw.

My mother would tell me that I needed to be kind to others; the sad thing is I was rude. If someone asked what I thought of something I would give him or her pure criticism.

You know looking back the biggest reason I did not get respect was because I was not respectful. However you also should not strive to get respect from others. You should just be respectful because God asks us to.

There are many scriptures about respecting others and honoring others, here are a few of them.

Romans 13:7 Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed. 

1 Thessalonians 5:12-13 We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you,  and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. 

Hebrews 13:17 Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you.

Exodus 20:12 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the LORD your God is giving you. 

Colossians 3:21 Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged. 

Ephesians 5:33 However let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband 

Philippians 2:3 (KJV) Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. 


No comments:

Post a Comment